MUNICIPALITY OF BADOC ILOCOS NORTE


The birthplace of Filipino painter, Juan Luna. The home of Luna Shrine, Luna Park, Badoc Island, Badoc Church and La Virgen Milagrosa Shrine and beautiful beaches.

Find Out More
Responsive image

Our Vission

BADOC, as a flourishing tourist destination anchored on agro-based development and eco-cultural community with empowered, disciplined and peace-loving people living in a safe disaster resilient community, led by dedicated and competent leaders.


Our Mission

To improve the quality of life through enhanced delivery of social services, increased economic activities, improved infrastructure facilities, a well-managed, sustained natural environment and an effective and efficient local administration.

History

  • Origin of Badoc 1572

    The derivation of the town's name is a strange tale. In 1572, during the intensive Christianization of the Ilocos Regime, a boatload of Spanish missionaries and soldiers topped at the mouth of the Badoc River to establish camp in the area which is now the town proper. It was the only cleared site of which portion was occupied by fifteen families of natives known as the Isneg. Around the settlement was a thick growth of tall flowering reed plants called bado-badoc (phleumpratense). Seeing some fishermen lingering at a distance, the Spaniards walked up to them to inquire about the name of the place pointing to the spot which they thought was a settlement. The men, not being able to understand what was asked to them, simply thought that the Spaniards wanted to know the name of the plant around the area and thus the answered: 'bado-badoc'. The leader of the expedition recorded the word, hence the town was called BADOC.

  • Establishment of the town 1714

    More than a century later than its neighboring towns of Batac (1587), Sinait (1591), and Paoay (1593). The late establishment of the town had been attributed to the unsettled peace and security conditions in the areas presently constituting the small territory of Badoc. Ruthless Moro and Zambal marauders holding camp at the Badoc Island were a constant threat to the intentions of the Spanish rulers for an earlier creation of the settlement as town and parish. In compliance with the provisions of the Municipal

  • Redivision of barrios 1926

    Code of 1901, Badoc was re-divided into 30 barrios under 11 councilor districts. Later, Badoc was reorganized into seven (7) councilor districts under Resolution Number 181 of the Municipal Council dated October 17, 1926 in accordance with Department Order No. 15 issued by the Secretary of Interior.

  • Badoc today 2005 - Present

    the town of Badoc is comprised of 31 barrios presently called barangays - three (3) are in the Poblacion, eight (8) are along the coast and the rest are rural villages . The town’s economic status was raised from the 4th to 3rd class in 2005. It is developing by leaps and bounds as one of the most progressive towns of Ilocos Norte. The entire area is mostly agricultural land. The principal industries are farming and fishing. The existing good network of roads and systems of transportations havebolstered the easy access of the local products to the flourishing markets of the province.

Gallery


Find Us


The Municipality of Badoc is located at the southern tip of the Province of Ilocos Norte one of the provinces in Region I. It is at 17o50’ - 17o55’ and 120o27’ - 130o36’ longitude and latitude respectively.